16-year-old male found guilty of Jamanoor murder

A teenage boy has been found guilty of the murder of 20-year-old Syed Jamanoor Islam in Mile End.

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

The 16-year-old male was found guilty of murder, conspiracy to commit ABH and possession of an offensive weapon on Friday, 24 November following a trial at Inner London Crown Court.

Three other men were also convicted at the same trial.

– Nayeem Chowdhury, 18 (03.02.99) of Burdett Road, E14 was found guilty of conspiracy to commit ABH;
– Ismail Muhammad Uddin, 18 (20.09.99) of Cahir Street, E3 was found guilty of conspiracy to commit ABH and possession of an offensive weapon,
– Samiur Rahman, 19 (25.10.98) of Cypress Street, E2 was found guilty of conspiracy to commit ABH and perverting the course of justice.

All four were remanded in custody to appear for sentencing at the same court on 22 December.

Jamanoor, 20, was stabbed in Wager Street, E3, at around 16:45hrs on Tuesday, 11 April. He was rushed to an east London hospital where he was pronounced dead just after 17:30hrs.

A post-mortem examination which took places on 13 April gave the cause of death as a stab wound to his left leg which pierced the femoral artery and vein.

The court heard that the stabbing was an escalation of a dispute which started off with eggs being thrown by the victim’s brother in jest. This led to eggs being thrown at Jamanoor’s front door. It is believed that Chowdhury and Rahman were responsible.

This was taken as a sign of disrespect, and in turn led to the tyres on Chowdhury’s car being slashed, and an altercation were Rahman was assaulted.

On 11 April, the three suspects were caught on CCTV travelling around Wager Street in a Ford Fiesta vehicle rented by Rahman, looking for Jamanoor’s brother. They were armed with a hunting knife and a baseball bat.

Their intended target was not at home, but Jamanoor confronted Chowdhury. The pair fought, and Jamanoor was hit with a baseball bat by Uddin.

It was during this fight that the 16-year-old boy pulled out a knife and inflicted the fatal stab wound. The suspects subsequently made off towards Bow Common Lane, with Jamanoor mortally injured.

The Met’s Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation, and analysis of CCTV showed the defendants’ journey after the attack.

A jacket recovered at the crime scene contained Chowdury’s driving licence and car keys.

An hour after the attack, Rahman called police reporting the Ford Fiesta as stolen.

In the days after the murder, the defendants stayed in different places in the north of England and the Midlands, evading efforts to locate and detain them.

On 13 April, Chowdury bought a second-hand BMW in Birmingham, giving false details.

Police traced the vehicle and engaged in a high-speed pursuit on the M1 motorway in Yorkshire on 16 April which lasted half an hour and culminated in a stop and their arrest. The suspects had changed their appearance in the days after the murder, shaving their heads.

They were identified as being present during the altercation that led to Jamanoor’s death. They gave no comment when interviewed by officers and were subsequently charged.

Detective Chief Insepctor Tony Lynes, who led the investigation, said: “Jamanoor was brutally attacked by these defendants who went out that day looking to cause trouble and inflict serious harm on the victim’s brother, following a petty dispute which quickly turned sour.

“It was a single stab wound to the victim’s leg which caused significant injury and ultimately proved fatal, and I hope serves as a cautionary tale to any young people thinking about carrying and using a knife and not thinking about the possible consequences.”

Source: Met Police

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



Written by Tower Hamlets Reporter

The information contained in my articles is for general information purposes only.

What do you think?

Tower Hamlets Council pays for 39 more police officers

Three men jailed for kidnap